Quality in medicine is becoming a big issue, even on the political stage. The EAU provides excellent expertise in training and education for European urologists but quality assurance and certification needs to be done by a different body.
Together with the European Board of Urology (EBU), we have developed a new type of certification specifically for training centres hosting European Urological Scholarship Programmes (EUSP). As an independent institution the EBU sets standard requirements for optimal urological training and is assessing and certifying the quality of training institutions in Europe for many years.
To qualify as a certified EBU-EAU host centre several criteria and requirements need to be fulfilled. As general requirement, an EBU-EAU certified host centre has to practice a multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of one of the listed urological fields:
Andrology / BPH / Cancer (renal, penile, prostate, testicular, urothelial) / Female urology and incontinence / Neurourology / Pediatric urology / Reconstructive urology / Transplantation / Stone disease
Furthermore an EBU-EAU certified host centre has to meet the following criteria:
- work in line with the EAU-Guidelines
- show an adequate number of cases to maintain a high level of results and to provide a comprehensive and practical training in the given specialty
- be adequately equipped and has to have access to supporting specialties
- employ at least two consultants who are experts in the field
- demonstrate that it has a structured programme to allow the fellow to gain knowledge and expertise in the field
- report and publish its own results
- be involved in scientific and/or clinical research and to support the fellow to participate
How to apply
Would your centre like to receive certification and international recognition as European centre of excellence? Then you can apply online via the EBU Evaluation & Certification Database. The administration fee for application is € 250,-. The evaluation process will be finished within four weeks from application. When all criteria are met, the title “EBU-EAU certified host centre” is granted for a period of five years, provided that the core staff is not replaced. The applicant receives a certificate of accreditation issued by the EBU. The certified centres details will be listed on the EBU and EAU websites.