The European Medicine Agency (EMA) has established ‘eligibility criteria’ in order to make sure that it only establishes dialogues with the most suitable organisations that act in the interests of European patients, consumers and healthcare professionals. The European Association of Urology would like to engage in dialogue with the EMA and has provided the following information for the evaluation of eligibility.
As part of the evaluation for eligibility, the European Association of Urology has provided the following financial information (2020) to be assessed by the parameters as set by the European Medicine Agency:
- Royalties EAU scientific journal: 26,08% – 50% non-industry – 50% industry
- Membership fees 22.96% – 100% non-industry
- Registration fees 9.12% – 100% non-industry
- Results EAU meeting & education 33.15% – 100% industry
- Accounting and management consulting 1.49% – 100% non-industry
- Sold guidelines 1.98% – 100% non-industry
- Other income 5.22% – 100% non-industry
|Overall proportion of industry and non-industry:||46.19% vs 53.81%|
The following pharmaceutical companies provide funding to EAU:
- Astellas Pharma Europe Ltd
- Intuitive Surgical Sarl
- Janssen Pharmaceutical N.V.
- Bayer Consumer Care AG
- GSK Services Unlimited
- IPSEN innovation
- BMS Bristol Myers Squibb
- Ferring International Center S.A
- Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
The highest contribution from a single company is less than 5% of the organisation’s total income. Due to the COVID-19, EAU wasn’t able to organise any congresses which lead to a dramatic fall in turnover. Consequently, the percentages of the various types of income changed substantially. The financial Annual Report of 2020 by EAU can be found here: Compilation Report
In order to ensure good governance, interactions should be based on fundamental principles of integrity, mutual respect, responsiveness, accountability, collaboration and transparency. The EAU Code of Ethics set standards for industry partners with regard to ethical interactions with the healthcare community. In order to make funding partnerships work in practice, to ensure the integrity of both the funder and EAU is maintained, and to demonstrate to other stakeholders that our relationships are absolutely scrupulous, the following key principles underpin our acceptance of funding.