European Urology, the premier specialist journal in the field of Urology and Nephrology, is looking for:
Editorial Internship (two posts)
We are delighted to advertise two new posts for urologists in training to work with the European Urology Editorial team. We expect candidates to have experience in medical publishing and to be pursuing academic urological careers. Each post will run for 2 years and successful candidates will work closely with one or more Associate Editor to gain insights into the editorial process, to contribute to the Journal, and inspire their future careers.
The EU Journal Family Editorial Internship is designed to introduce authors and reviewers to the Editorial aspects of peer review. This internship will allow participants to understand the role of the handling Associate Editor when evaluating incoming submissions, as well as the editing and publishing processes in peer-reviewed journals. Participants will be expected to contribute to the Journal through overseeing the review of one or more papers per week, in helping the development and delivery of invited reviews, through the dissemination of Journal content, and through the identification of new Reviewers and Authors. Participants will be invited to attend the Editorial Board meetings at the EAU or AUA Annual meetings and asked to contribute to European Urology run educational courses. At the end of the post, participants will be expected to write a summary report for publication in one of the EAU publications.
This post has several objectives that should help the academic development of successful candidates:
- To understand the peer review process: The candidate will learn the steps of the peer review pathway. They will see this process in real-time and understand the information used by Editors in decision making.
- To understand important elements of scientific manuscripts: The candidate will handle papers under review in European Urology. Through this, they will learn to differentiate high and low-quality submissions. They will learn about study design and report writing. This will be vital in their future careers.
- To contribute to the Editorial Team: Successful candidates will be in training posts. They will be able to bring this viewpoint to the editorial meetings and will be expected to contribute to Journal content.
- To disseminate the Journal’s brand and content: Successful candidates will be expected to act as Ambassadors for the European Urology Family
- Review of selected manuscripts, in consultation with one or more Associate Editor. Evaluations will include; soundness of study, statistical review, a quality check of illustrations, and adherence to submission guidelines.
- Attendance at the Annual EAU meeting in 2022: Economy Airfare and hotel accommodations paid for by the Journal and the EAU.
- Attendance and lecturing on the European Urology run educational courses at the EAU Annual meeting.
- Contribution to the Invited review program.
- Final project to demonstrate what was learned during the program (e.g., PowerPoint presentation, written summary, or progress report on a special project related to their editorial experience, etc.).
Applicants must be in training within the field of urology or closely aligned to urology. Successful applicants have experience in publishing scientific papers and will have specific ideas for what they hope to learn in the program. There is no prerequisite with regard to medical seniority. Candidates with experience in medical publishing may gain more from the internship. The European Urology family embraces equality of gender and race.
Work on the fellowship will begin in July 2021 and will continue through June 2023. Work may continue after that by mutual agreement of the fellow and journal editor. No salary will be provided.
Please email a CV and application letter to email@example.com
Apply before June 1, 2021.
Application letter: Please allow 100 – 200 words to answer each question
- Why I am the best candidate for this post?
- What I hope to gain from this opportunity?
- Given my current experience, what can I provide to the team?
- Where do I see myself in 10 years?
Share this on your favourite network: